One queen size bed with lovely views of the mountain or garden. Private, peaceful setting. Access to kitchen, lounge and bathrooms.
房源空間 In 1941 the Waimarino District Health Board built a nurses home in Raetihi to accommodate the staff of the Waimarino Hospital. The hospital had opened in 1922 back when Raetihi was a thriving timber town and the Raetihi-Pipiriki road was busy with horses and bullocks carting logs.
The Waimarino hospital was a an important place employing three full time doctors, plenty of nurses and a full time gardener. With its perfectly manicured gardens and huge oak trees, the hospital stood proudly overlooking the town and had arguably the best views of Mt Ruapehu.
In the early years, farmers from valleys such as the Mangapurua on the Whanganui River (and home of the Bridge to Nowhere) would travel over 50km on foot or by horseback to have their logging wounds tended to. The hospital even had a maternity wing where women would ride a horse for two days to give birth here.
But as the trees were felled and forestry diminished so did Raetihi’s population. During the great depression, farmers walked off their land. Some of the service stores on Raetihi’s main street were affected and over a period of time almost all 11 timber mills were closed.
Later, rural hospitals were closed and facilities, as well as staff, were moved to New Zealand’s main cities. The nurses home was bought by one of the Doctors during which time the current owner Sandy Waters (aged 9 at the time) stayed here. Seventeen years later Sandy bought the Old Nurses Home and has been renovating and running it as guest accommodation ever since.
Established in 1893, Raetihi's wide main street and historic buildings reflect the pioneering history of this former timber town. It is the closest town to the Mangapurua mountain bike track which leads to the Bridge to Nowhere, the starting point for the iconic Whanganui River Road journey and the finishing point for the 3-5 day Whanganui River canoe journey (Pipiriki 26km west of Raetihi).
Raetihi is also home to the "Theatre Royal" which is rumoured to be the oldest theatre in the Southern Hemisphere. The Theatre Royal housed the film crew for the River Queen movie while they filmed key scenes on and around the Whanganui River and Whanganui National Park.
Located on State Highway 4, Raetihi is home to a Ratana church and is close to the Mangawhero and Manganui a te Ao rivers, both well known for trout fishing.
The Maori name ‘Raetihi’ translates to ‘prominent summit’.